‘Ups and Downs’ – Changes in Patterns of Drug Use in Scotland, Harms and Service Responses
Date: Wednesday 10th October 2018, 10.00-16.00 (registration 9.30)
Location: Radisson Blu, Royal Mile, Edinburgh
‘Ups and Downs’ will explore changes in patterns of drug use in Scotland, associated harms and potential service responses.
The event will seek to address current concerns about growing trends, which include:
- Changes in the use of cocaine and crack by opiate users
- The use of Gabapentin & Pregabalin
- The multiplicity of benzodiazepines – phenazepam, etizolam and Xanax
- Complex polysubstance use
There has also been concern about particular groups of users
- Vulnerable young people
- ‘Recreational users’ encountering problems and experiencing harms
- People using image and performance enhancing drugs
This conference will seek to describe these changes and the harms that users are facing, including increasing numbers of deaths.
With Scotland’s new drugs policy due, the conference will close with a discussion on reducing harms, the policy implications and service developments required to meet Scotland’s emerging patterns of drug use.