Hepatitis Can’t Wait – World Hepatitis Day 2021
Wednesday 21st July, 10am-12:30pm
Ahead of World Hepatitis Day on 28 July, Hepatitis Scotland will be hosting an online event that will focus on celebrating areas of innovative practices in local communities around Scotland.
This event will emphasize the theme of Hepatitis Can’t Wait and will explore ways of utilising assertive outreach models in local areas.
Presentations will include:
- Examples of assertive outreach during COVID from Fife and North Lanarkshire
- An overview of EPIToPe (Evaluating the Population Impact of Hepatitis C Direct Acting Antiviral Treatment as Prevention for People Who Inject Drugs)
- Voices of encouragement: Get tested, get treated! Reinfection is real!
- An early preview of the results of an SDF workforce assessment looking at the sexual health and blood borne virus learning needs within the sector
- The launch of a new free online training course, Eliminating Viral Hepatitis in Scotland.
- Examples of tests of change, including a peer navigation approach
We hope these examples will provide insight and encourage people and services to work towards hepatitis c elimination. This will also be an opportunity for Hepatitis Scotland to highlight and share resources and materials that will help spread key messages.
A person dies every 30 seconds from a hepatitis related illness – even in the current COVID-19 crisis – we can’t wait to act on viral hepatitis.
- People living with viral hepatitis but are unaware of their diagnosis can’t wait for testing
- People living with hepatitis can’t wait for life saving treatments
- Expectant mothers can’t wait for hepatitis screening and treatment
- New-born babies can’t wait for birth dose vaccination
- People affected by hepatitis can’t wait for an end to stigma and discrimination
- Community organisations can’t wait for more investment
- Decision makers can’t wait and must act now to make hepatitis elimination a reality through political will and funding.