SDF hosts free webinars that cover a variety of themes which aim to support those delivering services to people who use drugs.
Pre-registration is required for the webinars and numbers are limited so be sure to register early.
The webinars are hosted on GoToWebinar, so please check your have the capability to access the tool once registered.
Sign up to the SDF newsletter if you would like to be kept up to date on upcoming webinars.
If you have any comments or ideas for future webinars please get in touch.
Stakeholder Engagement Event on responding to Benzodiazepine Dependence in Scotland within MAT
Friday 25th June 2021 / 13.00 – 14.30
In the context of increasing benzodiazepine-related mortality, the lack of robust clinical guidance, and emerging but inequitably distributed clinical experience, there is a need to develop a Scottish response to address the harms associated with benzodiazepine use.
The new Scottish Government’s Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) Standards aim to drive access, choice and evidence-based support in drug treatment and care. There is a pressing need to adopt this approach in relation to benzodiazepines. This webinar introduced actions from the Drug Deaths Taskforce’s Benzodiazepine Working Group to develop a national treatment guideline and reach consensus on person-centred approaches to the management of benzodiazepine use and related harms.
Developing Heroin Assisted Treatment in Scotland – learning from current practice
Tuesday 22nd June 2021 / 16:00 – 17:30
The Scottish Government has made its intentions clear regarding the provision of Heroin Assisted Treatment across Scotland. This will add another important intervention in our response to the on-going public health emergency which is Scotland’s drug related deaths crisis.
There is strong evidence internationally across decades that Heroin Assisted Treatment can impact positively on reducing harms and drug related deaths and this webinar aimed to stimulant further developments in Scotland.
This webinar heard from existing providers of Heroin Assisted Treatment in Canada and the UK and provided guidance on the steps required to deliver further programmes in Scotland.
Update Event: National Implementation of the Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) Standards for Scotland
Friday 11th June 2021 / 13.00 – 14.30
The Scottish Government has announced that national implementation of Scotland’s new Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) Standards will be fully embedded by 2022. This event described progress on the implementation of the MAT Standards so far and the next steps. There was also presentations on how local service planners and services are ensuring Standard-compliant provision with respect to Standards 1 – 5, in a mix of rural and urban settings across Scotland.
Webinars in 2020
SDF have hosted over 25 webinars on a variety of topics and themes such as Sexual Health and Blood-Borne Viruses, benzodiazepines, harm reduction, and service provision. All SDF Webinars are recorded and posted on the SDF YouTube Channel after the event.
As part of its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, SDF has hosted a series of webinars that address crucial aspects of the support of people with drug problems and the delivery of effective services that provide treatment and support, reduce harm and protect people from COVID-19.
You can view previous SDF COVID-19 webinars on the SDF Youtube Channel, or you can click on one of the topics below.
- Drug and alcohol problems in remote and rural Scotland: Responding during COVID and beyond – Sep 2020
- Assertive outreach in Scotland during and after lockdown – July 2020
- SDF & Hepatitis Scotland: Using prevention and harm reduction to ensure we hit Scotland’s hepatitis C elimination target – July 2020
- Specific challenges for women who use drugs during COVID – July 2020
- The experience of people who use IPEDs during and after lockdown – July 2020
- Medically Assisted Treatment during COVID-19 and beyond – July 2020
- Developments for naloxone delivery during COVID-19 and beyond – June 2020
- ‘How’s your sites?’- Care of injection-related wounds in people who use drugs – June 2020
- Treatment and care for people with a stimulant problem under COVID-19 and beyond – June 2020
- Volunteering under COVID19 lockdown – supporting volunteers and expanding opportunities – June 2020
- Lessons learnt and challenges with easing lockdown: People with drug problems, Public Health & COVID-19 – May 2020
- Drug Treatment and Contingency Planning in Scottish Prisons under COVID-19 – May 2020
- Interrupting Transmission; Drugs, HIV and COVID-19 – May 2020
- Responding to mental health and isolation in the pandemic – May 2020
- Benzodiazepine use and prescribing during the pandemic – May 2020
- Working with people who use drugs and who are homeless – April 2020
- Delivering OST and contingency planning for pharmacy service reductions – April 2020